Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Beginning of my Journey as a Human Rights Defender (HRD)..!!!




After the semester exam I was thinking about a way to make my vacation a productive one. On 17th April, my friend Xef sent me a link via facebook. It was an event (Human Right Defenders Training) organized by Maldivian Democracy Network. As it is an area where I have interest, I thought of joining. And with the help of Xef I registered there.

On 22
nd April at 9 am I went to SHE building for the 1st session of HRD training. Xef was the only one I knew. All others were totally new to me. I was thinking of how I am going to bear it from 9 am to 6 pm every day till 28th April.

Sessions started with around 23 members. At the very first day it was a blast. When the lecturers gave group activity, everyone started to talk and became friends. For every activity there will be a new group. Therefore at the very first day we started to know each other.


During the sessions every participant was allowed to talk and express views regarding the topic. This was one of the best and open discussions in which I have participated so far.  Discussions were so interesting that time was so limited.

Lunch and evening tea was provided to all of us from MDN. We had discussions and fun talks during the lunch and tea break. Taking different issues and talking about it during these breaks, as the discussion time was limited.

At the end of the training all members were evaluated and successful candidates were accredited as Human Rights Defenders. Responsibilities of HRDs (we) include advocating human rights locally on a continuous basis, reporting human rights violation to MDN and other related bodies, guiding and providing information to victims of human rights violation, and assist MDN in conducting their nationwide assessments and activities.

In this training sessions we were trained in the following areas;

 Ø  Philosophy and history of Human Rights
   Ø  Rights enshrined in the 2nd chapter of the Constitution
   Ø  The democratic system of the Maldives
   Ø  Local legal redress mechanisms
   Ø  Maldivians and human rights (Islam and human rights / Maldivian culture and human rights)
   Ø  International law and international legal redress mechanisms
   Ø  Monitoring and reporting human rights

No comments:

Post a Comment